[scribus] How to set 'Text Flow Around Frame' option; Scribus 1.4.2

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Sep 29 15:51:50 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 11:34 AM, Tony Hamilton-tony wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the tutorial 'Get Started with Scribus 2006' using
> Scribus 1.4.2 under Linux Mint 17, 32 bit.
>
> I am experiencing a disappointing number of problems getting the results
> described in this old tutorial, some of which are claimed to be caused
> by incorrect setting of the text flow option in object properties, shape
> tab.
>
> The issue is that on my version of Scribus there is no discernible
> difference in the appearance of the 5 tabs for the text flow option - it
> is impossible to know when a tab has been selected or pressed or what
> (aside from the 5th - Use Image Clip Path - which is greyed out in my
> version).
>
> Could somebody please explain how the text flow option is set.

The starting point with Text Flow is to make sure you're setting it on
the right frame.

Let's imagine you have a text frame, then one or more levels above it,
you have an image frame.

You want to set Text Flow on the image frame, since this is the frame
you want the text to flow around. If you set it on the image frame and
it's below the text frame (either below on the current layer or some
other layer which is below the text frame's layer), you won't see any
effect.

Greg