[scribus] A Scribus Random Tips window ?

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Mon May 26 08:28:18 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> the hints i tend to like more, are the ones inkscape is giving in the
> status bar.
>
> i think that other forms might also be possible...
> all in all, i'd welcome a non obstructive hinting, with no
> interaction needed from the user and context aware...
>
> but it should be very very very well implemebted, otherwise it will do
> more harm than it's useful...
>
> not an easy task!
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

Hey a.l.e, non-obstructive hinting...(in the status bar) that seems like a
happy medium...? That sounds elegant.

Some thoughts:
My logic for this is that Scribus has immense utility and functionality but
most people don't utilize it...including myself (yet). I agree with
Christoph that the online documentation needs to be further improved..but
it goes beyond that, IMO. It's not our job to educate the end user fully
but we can wet their appetite and help them discover. This is how people
learn best. Right now I have not successfully run any scripts in 1.5 at
all. I haven't really utilized the Story Editor. Scribus provides some
templates at startup for people to utilize but once one is chosen the user
is totally left to their own devices, aka dropped (my opinion, again).

I'm glad I brought this up because I wasn't aware of this other perspective
that Vlada and Christoph provice, Agreed, I'm also not intrested in
creating GUI bloat. Is there any agreement thought that the 'Help' aspect
of Scribus needs some...j*e ne sais que* because there a ALOT of legwork
left to the user to do. I think that there can be a graceful medium where
we can captivate, not forcefeed, the user to read on and learn more.

So my intention is to help facilitate that in an elegant way. More ideas
are welcome. Thanks for participating.

Cheers,
/Kunda