[scribus] A few little questions about Scribus 1.5 svn

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Jul 27 13:10:18 UTC 2014

On 07/27/2014 06:58 AM, Gimp-Werkstatt wrote:
> Hallo list
>
> A few weeks back I installed the new Scribus 1.5 svn. I find it so
> great, that I tried to polish my English and write to this list. I hope
> it is understandable for everyone as I don't use English very often any
> more.
>
> I think, you did a really great job. The new functions are absolutely
> fantastic, especially the new drop shadow with dithering is really a
> great help and the drawing-tool as well is a nice new toy for me.
>
> For my teaching-job I write a lot of scripts and tend to use Scribus
> more and more often for script in a range of about 30 pages, where I
> used to work with a text-program like Libre Office before. So I do have
> a few questions about the Scribus 1.5 svn. My colleagues have already
> asked me, if I could do a training session for them on Scribus 1.5. So
> before I agree to that, I do have some little questions, that I hope you
> could give me an answer to.
>
> 1. When I write a learning-script with Scirbus 1.5, I can't open the sla
> to continue working with Scribus 1.4. So my first question is, if there
> is still a lot of doing on the new Scirbus for example on the surface of
> the program.

You cannot open a 1.5.0 file with 1.4.x or any earlier version of
Scribus. You can go the other direction, for example, open a 1.4.x file
with 1.5.0.
In an emergency situation, you could copy items to the Scrapbook in
1.5.0, then bring them in from the Scrapbook in 1.4.x, since both
versions use the same Scrapbook.
So unless colleagues also have access to 1.5.0svn, you will want to do
your training in 1.4.4, which is available for all platforms.

> 2. Is there a function within Scribus, where I could pre-set the size of
> an image in ppi. Background to this question is, that I work with lots
> of screen-shots in my documents. So I have to scale every single one on
> the right ppi size. It would make life a lot easier for me, if Scribus
> could do that for me.

Go to File > Preferences > Item Tools > Images (tab), where you can set
defaults to Free Scaling at some resolution/ppi or Scale Image to Frame.
auf Deutsch, Datei > Allgemeine Einstellungen > Objektwerkzeuge >
Bilder. (I wonder who came up with these mile-long translations?)

> 3. Will the spell checker be integrated into text editor in Scribus 1.5?
>
> 4. Will Scribus 1.5 svn be called 1.5 or 1.6 once it has reached the
> stable status?

My understanding is that there will be a 1.5.0 version released as a
stable version at some point, then 1.6.0 later. Probably, 1.5.0 will be
static, i.e., there won't be a 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and so on, but there will
likely be 1.6.0, 1.6.1, etc. But this is esoterica and subject to change.

Greg