[scribus] A few little questions about Scribus 1.5 svn

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 05:08:15 UTC 2014

> Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. Juli 2014 um 12:58 Uhr
> Von: Gimp-Werkstatt <gimp-werkstatt at gmx.de>
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: [scribus] A few little questions about Scribus 1.5 svn
>
> Hallo list
>
> A few weeks back I installed the new Scribus 1.5 svn. I find it so
> great, that I tried to polish my English and write to this list. I hope
> it is understandable for everyone as I don't use English very often any
> more.
>
> I think, you did a really great job. The new functions are absolutely
> fantastic, especially the new drop shadow with dithering is really a
> great help and the drawing-tool as well is a nice new toy for me.
>
> For my teaching-job I write a lot of scripts and tend to use Scribus
> more and more often for script in a range of about 30 pages, where I
> used to work with a text-program like Libre Office before. So I do have
> a few questions about the Scribus 1.5 svn. My colleagues have already
> asked me, if I could do a training session for them on Scribus 1.5. So
> before I agree to that, I do have some little questions, that I hope you
> could give me an answer to.
>
> 1. When I write a learning-script with Scirbus 1.5, I can't open the sla
> to continue working with Scribus 1.4. So my first question is, if there
> is still a lot of doing on the new Scirbus for example on the surface of
> the program.
>
> 2. Is there a function within Scribus, where I could pre-set the size of
> an image in ppi. Background to this question is, that I work with lots
> of screen-shots in my documents. So I have to scale every single one on
> the right ppi size. It would make life a lot easier for me, if Scribus
> could do that for me.
>
> 3. Will the spell checker be integrated into text editor in Scribus 1.5?
>
> 4. Will Scribus 1.5 svn be called 1.5 or 1.6 once it has reached the
> stable status?
>
> Well, that were already all of my questions. Maybe there will come up
> some more, while working wit it.  I thank you very much for you great
> work, you've been doing to this program. And for your reply
>
> regards

Hi Anke,

Please keep in mind that 1.5.0svn cannot be considered stable or feature-complete yet. If you want to compare it to other familiar release schemes (and apart from the source code via svn there hasn't been an official release), it's a snapshot of a pre-Alpha version. There are still a few issues that need to be resolved, both in terms of fully working features, as well as stability, not to mention usability.

The next officially stable version will be 1.6.0, but we will release an official 1.5.0 (or perhaps 1.6.0 Alpha). Background: The versioning scheme during the development of the 1.3.x series has caused a lot of confusion, so it was decided that the second digit determines the stable/unstable status: Even numbers (like 1.4, 1.6) will indicate a stable version, odd ones (1.5 etc.) development versions.

1.5.0 will be released to allow users testing of the next version of on all/most platforms and package builders to find out what is required to create packages for their respective platforms. It is not expected to be perfect, and the necessary work of the UI may very well be postponed to another Alpha-2 or Beta version.

As to your question regarding the spellchecker, the answer is no. The Story Editor needs to be rewritten from scratch, and given the current developing resources I don't see any of this happening until the release of 1.5.0.

Falls Du weitere Fragen hast und Dich auf englisch nicht traust, kannst Du diese gerne direkt an mich richten.

Schöne Grüße

Christoph