[scribus] Krita Kickstarter

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 17:36:50 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Kunda Loves Scribus wrote:

> Truly, there are some inspiring examples so far where a project with
> organized structure and a well-planned roadmap have been pretty victorious
> with their fundraising efforts. I'm thinking of Synfig specifically. Pitivi
> and Mediagoblin (2 crowdfundings already) have had pretty successful runs
> but I'm not sure how they've been evolving since.

Synfig is in the "it's complicated" department. Every time they run a
campaign, it's a close call for failure: half the time they are mere
hours away from either failing or succeeding. They do deliver on their
promises, but due to having to pick a feature request to focus on for
the next month of sponsored development they have a problem of
wrapping up and actually releasing all the awesome new features they
have implemented (sounds familiar, eh?). In fact, they made a summer
break for July and August, so that might help.

Mediagoblin had two campaigns: the one in late 2012 was underfunded by
ca. 25%, the one in 2014 was overfunded by 5%. The first time things
balanced out, because they got more people involved through other
programs. I'm not sure how much progress they've had since April 2014,
when they last posted in the blog, I think someone could ping Chris
about that :)

Pitivi is still in the process of being funded. Last time I checked (a
month ago) they were half way there or so. They made some rather
important changes anyway, but they rarely report on the progress
which, IMO, is one of the reasons of the slow progress with the
funding (IMO, Synfig, being a bit of a niche product, only manages to
raise funds every time, because they post weekly updates with videos
and release dev builds. Pitivi guys do not provide this kind of
progress visibility, although they do provide static nightly builds)

Not sure how much useful that info is :) Frankly, I don't exactly
understand what's up with Scribus development. Cezary used to be
hyperactive :), but now he's gone? Alessandro and Klaudia used to work
on usability, no idea what happened to that project: the properties
palette is still a huge mess. A_l_e seems to be working on the epub
exporter which is important for single-sourcing though.

http://wiki.scribus.net mentions "Latest release: Devel 1.5.0" which
leads to an empty folder on SourceForge. That's confusing.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.0_(%3D_1.6.0_Alpha_1)_Roadmap lists
pending features that don't look critical at all while delaying
delivery of the release.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_1.5.0_Release_Schedule mentions
a bunch of features that are due to be extensively tested, but how
that could be done without widely accessible binary builds I have no
foggiest idea.

Alex