[scribus] Scribus Kickstarter/donations

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 12:20:47 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM,  g.ru wrote:
> Of course it would not solve all the problems - though I agree with
> Hans, that progress would probably be a lot faster. Apart from a
> Kickstarter campaign: wouldn't it make sense to give people the
> opportunity to make donations to Scribus? I guess a respectable amount
> of money could be raised by just implementing something on the Scribus
> website, eg. looking like www.gimp.org/donating/
>
> The money raised could probably be used to eg. tender specific features
> to be developed or advertise Scribus.
>
> What do you think?

It's complicated.

Donating for implementing particular features suggests a social
contract such as what Krita has with their, er, donors :) That, in
return, suggests having developers available for hire. Krita has
those. What about Scribus? I don't know.

I've seen at least two attempts at paid development by Scribus
developers (those OiF projects I mentioned). To the best of my
knowledge, none of them were even publicly announced, and you've got
to grow a really thick skin to even discuss the matter with the team.

Also, I'm not sure, what kind of money counts for "respectable
amount". People like donating for sexy apps. Scribus isn't sexy -- by
design. It's for getting stuff done in a industry that has seen better
days. DTP was never popular in comparison to e.g. digital photography.
Call me a skeptic, but getting a successful fundraiser for Scribus
would involve a major reorganization in how the project operates, both
internally and externally. Not that it shouldn't be done, mind you :)

Alex