[scribus] how to save non breaking spaces

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Feb 7 18:37:08 UTC 2014

Le 07/02/2014 07:47, Pascal GRAFF a écrit :
> Hi,
> I'm using scribus 1.4.3 on a Mac (OS X 10.7.5).
> In order to reduice the size of non-breaking spaces before glyphs like '
> : ? ! ; ', I reduice the size of their font to the third. Everything is
> going fine, and I'm able to export the result in a  correct pdf file.
> The trouble is that, after having saved the ***.sla file, if I try to
> re-use it, opening it once more, all the changes of size of the
> non-breaking spaces are lost.
> Is there any turn-around to prevent it ?
> Thank's in advance for any advise.

Hello,

It seems to me that the behaviour you describe should not happen :
specified size should be restored for spaces as for any other character !

Anyway as for me here is how i proceed, since i need thin non breaking spaces
before : ? ! and ; too... since i publish french texts

So I have added the unicode "non breaking narrow space" in the set
of bookmarked glyphs in the Glyph Palette or Character Palettes
(because other plain thin spaces are breakable and dont fit that need).

So i to do so, i saved the glyph palette allready bookmarked glyphs in a .ucp file,
edited the file with a simple text editor
and added the following line at the end :

# NNBSP : narrow non break space
08239 Arimo Regular

Arimo is a free font that includes the "non breaking narrow space"
but you could use any other that implements it (not many fonts do...)

And then i can insert such space with just a double click on the
corresponding cell of the glyph palette,
(and then another click on the insertion place in the text frame
so as to go on with edit :-/ )

I'm happy with this way of doing
I will probably  automatize it sooner or later with a dedicated script.

JL