[scribus] how to save non breaking spaces

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Fri Feb 7 10:23:00 UTC 2014

On 07.02.2014 07:47, Pascal GRAFF wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm using scribus 1.4.3 on a Mac (OS X 10.7.5).
> In order to reduice the size of non-breaking spaces before glyphs like '
> : ? ! ; ', I reduice the size of their font to the third. Everything is
> going fine, and I'm able to export the result in a  correct pdf file.
> The trouble is that, after having saved the ***.sla file, if I try to
> re-use it, opening it once more, all the changes of size of the
> non-breaking spaces are lost.
> Is there any turn-around to prevent it ?
> Thank's in advance for any advise.
> Pascal
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Hallo Pascal,

sometimes it can be frustrating, when asking how to do a certain thing,
and getting "other" solutions rather then the answers requested.

I am sorry about the lost settings of font-size. We are using 1.4.3 on
Windows, so I cannot test.

I suppose that you have found a semi-automatic way to set your font size
for those spaces? Otherwise it sounds like a lot of work.

So maybe my idea does not help you, but at least it does survive a
save-close-and-reopen-cycle:  I tried inserting a non-breaking space and
then adjusting this space via the

> properties (F2) >text >advanced  settings> manual tracking (the box
top-right)

Click your cursor right next to the space you want to tune. Then reduce
it with the tracking arrows. You can reduce these spaces and after
saving and re-opening those manual corrections stay the same (for
Windows). Sadly I do not know a way how to apply such manual tracking to
each non-breaking space in a certain context (in from of ? or !). Maybe
other users can complete this idea or even propose something better.

We are publishing in an African language which uses the same rules like
French, and we know the struggle with those jumping punctuations. Once
you find the best solution, please let this list know, I also find the
default non-breakings too large.

greetings and respect for your efforts "to make it pretty",

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ