[scribus] advice on adding "alt" text

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Apr 18 01:28:57 UTC 2014

On 04/17/2014 07:58 PM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:

>   thanks again.  so if i follow correctly, the separate text frames
> are the only way to do this, as there is no "alternate text" option
> for vector graphics/etc. in Scribus and PDFs?

This is something that would need some expansion of current capabilities.

Conceivably, one could now make some annotation frames containing the
text. This would be searchable in a PDF, but a side effect is the
appearance of the icon in the document indicating there is a note.
Hovering over the note shows you the text, and you can use Edit > Search
in Adobe Reader to search for some text in a comment. AFAIK, these icons
never print when you print the PDF. You can hide the comments in the
PDF, but then they are no longer searchable, so you might need to switch
back and forth from showing/hiding. By definition, annotation frame text
doesn't show, so its color in Scribus doesn't matter.

Perhaps another but undeveloped option would be to add to the
capabilities of object attributes, which are currently very limited.
There still would be only a certain amount of text one could add, and I
don't know that these attributes end up anywhere in the PDF.

And it's worth mentioning that using your method, you can also assign
text in a frame a color of None.

Greg