[scribus] advice on adding "alt" text

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Thu Apr 17 23:58:59 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-16 15:38, john Culleton wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:26:57 -0400
> "Wayne DePrince Jr." <waynedpj at in-giro.org> wrote:
>
>> ahoy all,
>>
>>     i am wondering if there is a
>> standard/preferred way to add text to a Scribus
>> document that is entirely composed of vector
>> images/symbols, resulting in a PDF document
>> that is text searchable?  specifically, i have
>> imported SVG images of text (e.g "title" drawn
>> as a vector image, not a SVG text element)
>> throughout the doc as vector graphics with
>> which i would like to associate actual text.
>> this page discusses adding alt text with
>> various PDF editors
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140311/PDF1
>> but this option does not seem to be available
>> in Scribus 1.5 with polygons/symbols.
>>
>>     the best solution i have been able to come
>> up with so far is to have a text frame for each
>> SVG image with the actual text at 0%
>> transparency. this seems to work (i.e. text
>> searches on the resulting PDF do find the text
>> but the real text is hidden).  of course, i
>> have to manually associate each text frame with
>> each graphic element.
>>
>>     does anyone have any other suggestions?
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> peace, w
>>

> My only advice is to design the book and all
> elements therein from the beginning in Scribus
> or another top-line program. Don't edit a pdf
> file. That format is designed to be a final
> product.

thanks for the detailed reply. i have no intention of editing the final
PDF file, sorry if i implied that.  i was looking for a way to have
searchable hidden text for vector graphics in Scribus.

> As for searchability if you use real text, and
> not pictures of text you can search on the text
> proper.

i realize that this would have made my life much simpler, but alas it
was not possible.  instead, we have SVG graphics of text but not an
actual font or "real" text.  thus the need to add hidden real text to
each vector text graphic in Scribus, thereby making the PDF text
searchable.

> Or you can just add a tag line under each
> non-text illo.

   i assume that this tag line would be a separate text frame?

> This tag line can be the same
> color as the background and still be
> searchable.

   i am currently doing something similar: creating a separate text frame
for each vector text graphic with the "real" text.  then the text
frame's opacity is set to 0% (invisible) and is then welded to the
vector graphic.

> Set up a bottom layer in yellow or
> gray to make those tags visible during
> development; then eliminate that layer when
>  producing a pdf. You can even create
> a list of your illos up front. With some extra
> effort you can make these clickable anchors to
> the right page.
>
> These are strategies that will work. Editing a
> pdf will always be chancey.

   thanks again.  so if i follow correctly, the separate text frames are
the only way to do this, as there is no "alternate text" option for
vector graphics/etc. in Scribus and PDFs?

peace, w