[scribus] advice on adding "alt" text

Wayne DePrince Jr. waynedpj at in-giro.org
Thu Apr 24 22:02:40 UTC 2014

On gio, 2014-04-17 at 21:28 -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> On 04/17/2014 07:58 PM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> >
> >   thanks again.  so if i follow correctly, the separate text frames
> > are the only way to do this, as there is no "alternate text" option
> > for vector graphics/etc. in Scribus and PDFs?
> >
> This is something that would need some expansion of current capabilities.
>
> Conceivably, one could now make some annotation frames containing the
> text. This would be searchable in a PDF, but a side effect is the
> appearance of the icon in the document indicating there is a note.

    this was my initial idea, but as you say this results in icons
throughout the document.

> Hovering over the note shows you the text, and you can use Edit > Search
> in Adobe Reader to search for some text in a comment. AFAIK, these icons
> never print when you print the PDF. You can hide the comments in the
> PDF, but then they are no longer searchable, so you might need to switch
> back and forth from showing/hiding. By definition, annotation frame text
> doesn't show, so its color in Scribus doesn't matter.
>
> Perhaps another but undeveloped option would be to add to the
> capabilities of object attributes, which are currently very limited.
> There still would be only a certain amount of text one could add, and I
> don't know that these attributes end up anywhere in the PDF.

    thanks for this idea.  i did try adding text via attributes, but it
does not seem to show up in the PDF, at least as searchable text.  this
would be very useful and a much simpler way to give non-text elements
(i.e. polylines, images, etc.) some searchable text metadata.  should i
make a feature request?

> And it's worth mentioning that using your method, you can also assign
> text in a frame a color of None.

    i tried this as well, and while indeed the text is not visible, it
is also not searchable when color is set to None.  so far using color
Black (or any color besides None) and 0% transparency is the only way i
have found to have the text frames hidden while still searchable.

    thanks again for your help.

peace, w