[scribus] advice on adding "alt" text

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Apr 16 19:38:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:26:57 -0400
"Wayne DePrince Jr." <waynedpj at in-giro.org> wrote:

> ahoy all,
>
>     i am wondering if there is a
> standard/preferred way to add text to a Scribus
> document that is entirely composed of vector
> images/symbols, resulting in a PDF document
> that is text searchable?  specifically, i have
> imported SVG images of text (e.g "title" drawn
> as a vector image, not a SVG text element)
> throughout the doc as vector graphics with
> which i would like to associate actual text.
> this page discusses adding alt text with
> various PDF editors
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140311/PDF1
> but this option does not seem to be available
> in Scribus 1.5 with polygons/symbols.
>
>     the best solution i have been able to come
> up with so far is to have a text frame for each
> SVG image with the actual text at 0%
> transparency. this seems to work (i.e. text
> searches on the resulting PDF do find the text
> but the real text is hidden).  of course, i
> have to manually associate each text frame with
> each graphic element.
>
>     does anyone have any other suggestions?
> thanks in advance.
>
> peace, w

My only advice is to design the book and all
elements therein from the beginning in Scribus
or another top-line program. Don't edit a pdf
file. That format is designed to be a final
product.

As for searchability if you use real text, and
not pictures of text you can search on the text
proper. Or you can just add a tag line under each
non-text illo. This tag line can be the same
color as the background and still be
searchable.  Set up a bottom layer in yellow or
gray to make those tags visible during
development; then eliminate that layer when
 producing a pdf. You can even create
a list of your illos up front. With some extra
effort you can make these clickable anchors to
the right page.

These are strategies that will work. Editing a
pdf will always be chancey.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press