[scribus] Printing from Scribus

Jan de Weerd jdweerd at ziggo.nl
Thu Oct 3 15:11:03 UTC 2013

On 10/03/2013 04:17 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:32:22 +0200
> "Ian \"Witty\"Whitfield" <editor at federalsaints.net> dijo:
>
>> I'm happy to export to PDF - I do this all the time with the Journal I
>> produce every month - and exporting did the trick for me this time
>> with the labels. BUT ...
>> 1. If Scribus is *NOT* to be used for Printing - Why does it have a
>> 'Print' option??
>>
>> 2. File size - the .sla for each A4 page is 34Kb and the
>> resulting .pdf files are just under 320Kb. I don't consider these to
>> be "large" files (???)
>>
>> I just tested with a 33Kb .doc file from LO Writer and it took 10sec
>> to start printing on my Laser Printer.
> I have found that there are printer drivers and then there are printer
> drivers. Some have more/fewer features, and some make the printer run
> slowrt/faster. As to the latter the speed also varies with the type of
> document; some drivers will print one document faster than other
> documents, and another driver will print the other documents faster,
> and I've never found out why. I have a number of laser printers and I
> have installed at least three drivers for each one. I would recommend
> trying different drivers.

My experience is also that printing to my color laser HP4500 is slow
when I use Linux  (especially large pdf files generated by Scribus). I
see a long time "processing job" on the printer's display. I use the
*hpps* driver and the *hppcl3* drivers. Sometimes the pcl3 driver is
faster. I have tried Debian and OpenSuse but result is the same.

Because I have a dual boot with Windows-7 I sometimes reboot to Windows
and print the file from there, this is much faster. However, color
quality when printing from Linux is better.

Jan