[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Sun May 12 11:33:32 UTC 2013

Le 12/05/2013 00:37, John Jason Jordan a écrit :
> The only organization I know anything about is my university, a large
> (25,000 students) urban state-run university. There are half a dozen
> "computer labs" scattered around the campus, including two in the
> library. Students can use these computers for whatever they need. Each
> lab has about 10% Macs and the rest are 10-year old Dells running
> Windows 7. At the time of their acquisition I'm sure the university
> bought the cheapest thing that would get the job done at the time. I
> have used these computers and they are painful. I doubt the hard drive
> is more than 10 GB, 20 at the max. They are similarly underpowered on
> RAM and CPU.
[etc snip]

Reading your description it looks like US is a poor or underdevelopped country.
How unlucky you are to be such a wealthy country and have so rare ressources
for education.

As for the subject of this topic, it makes me feel the issue's solution
might be outside the official structure of the university,
and outside money-ruled structures, because money is maintened scarce,
too scarce to enable a change for the better.

These non-economic forces might be self-empowered volunteer students,
concerned with having better tools to study with,
but amof it depends on the people there, students, teachers
and other local factors.

GPL software is only one part of the issue.

Good luck,
JLuc