[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses, Scribus says, "huh?"

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat May 11 23:20:14 UTC 2013

On 05/11/2013 06:37 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:04:52 +0200
> Manuel Schmalstieg <webdev at ms-studio.net> dijo:
>
>> Regarding the point of comparing the filesize: maybe I misunderstood,
>> but earlier in this tread, John Jason and Christoph were arguing if
>> disk space could be a reason for "corporations, government agencies,
>> universities" not to install FLOSS software. So I was just checking
>> the numbers, which happen to be in favor of Scribus. :)
> It's other things besides disk space.

Where I work (at a hospital), there is a mindset to forbid any sort of
"outside" software, with the idea that this is how you keep out malware.
As I was noticing that the IS department has a recurring series of
training sessions on Word, Excel, Publisher, I made a suggestion that
they might take a look at Scribus, and volunteered to help with the
training part. But you meet a wall of resistance to change, in part
because the decisions about paying for whatever massive number of
licenses are at some higher administrative level, and therefore not
"felt" at the lower and user levels.

Change isn't impossible, but it's slow. I've come to be seen by the IS
people as something of a fellow geek, since they know I use Linux and
Android to connect to the patient management software. It used to be
that it was impossible for me to load Scribus on ANY computer, even in
my own office, but now it's the opposite, I can load it anywhere. What's
more, all users have their own network space, which means I can store my
templates and scripts and other files there and have access to them from
any computer in the facility. This is pretty dramatic stuff for a
conservative environment.

Greg