[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

herve herve.couvelard at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 11 22:58:25 UTC 2013

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2013 21:04:52 +0200
> Manuel Schmalstieg <webdev at ms-studio.net> dijo:
>
> However, the computer horsepower is only a small part of the reason
> they don't load Scribus, inter alia. The university has an IT
> department that maintains a help desk for students. They support (by
> telephone or e-mail) all the software that is on the university
> computers. In other words, the people answering the phones are expected
> to be fluent with Microsoft Office so when a student calls they can
> explain which button to push. If they install Scribus on university
> computers they would have to train their help desk people in how to use
> it. Good luck with that. In fact, the university recently removed
> Openoffice.org from university computers, simply because they couldn't
> afford to support it. And as for Adobe, the Creative Suite is installed
> only on computers in the one computer lab for graduate students.

i am really sorry to add some words about that. I am working with floss
software for years. I do not think floos is technically always the best
solution, but it is a working solution that fit my needs. When someone
aks me for an advice, i can only talk him about floss and linux because
that is what i am using for these 13 years.

The solutions i give (when i give one) always fit the needs, because i
use it on a daily basis, but there is always a
good excuse not to use it : not what i am used to, not the color i want,
not what i see elsewhere, nothing i can use without learning... and
almost every time the person pick a bad solution, doing bad work and
happy with it. If you "give " him a software that crash once a month,
you are the one who ruined his life, if the one he has chosen (buy or
piracy) crash every day, that's not a problem.

I think that "working" for converting people is just a waste of time,
the only thing to do is making good software for the ones who use it,
paying attention to there needs. in french we have an expression : " on
ne fait pas boire un ane qui n'a pas soif".

Anyway, if the computer has 20 gb hard disk, 10 years old on windows,
it cant' even have Ie6, adobe something, office something, maybe win98.

hervé