[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri May 10 19:50:16 UTC 2013

On 10/05/2013 06:28, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

> No, but did you ever try an XPress or Adobe "tech support"
 >hotline?

Yes, useless !  (UK)

> ...redirected to a call-centre in India or Pakistan whose
 >employees don't understand your questions and have hardly
 >any clue etc. pp. And that's only for English-speaking
 >customers. If you need support in another language, tough
 >luck. "Formal tech support" is a myth unless you are a
 >"premium customer" who buys thousands of licenses/subscription
 >on a regular basis. Now that I think of it, "formal tech support"
 >is an accurate description: Adobe's tech support exists "formally",
 >even if it's completely useless. Open Source tech support is
 >informal (mailing lists, IRC, direct e-mail, bugtracker) but
 >it generally works. Heck, I have repaired damaged SLA files sent to
 >me by users, and so did other Team members. Did we charge a dime?
 >Of course not!

Agreed. One of you saved my bacon when I first used Scribus back in 1.3.3.?

>> I'm not saying we should not keep pushing. And right now is a good time
>> to give a serious shove. But realistically we have an uphill battle
>> against commercial software.
>
> While true, it needs to be said that every alternative to Adobe CS/CC
 >products faces an uphill battle, one reason being the tight integration
 >of the CS/CC components and the overall high quality of Adobe's products.

I switched to Scribus because Adobe had messed us about re the futute of
Pagemaker, InDesign was 1.0 was unusable, and InDesign 1.5 was no better
than Pagemaker.

It was clear that Adobe was high maintenance, had no clue where it was
going, and only offered poor support despite the price of its products.

I know what JJJ means though. I can't get the school where I'm a
governor to look at OO, Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus, Linux or Raspberry Pi.
Very depressing !  Is there a special rock that IT teachers are required
to live under for a decade before they are allowed in front of a class ?

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Reg. Office: Unit 1A Manners Court, Manners Avenue, Ilkeston. DE7 8EF