[scribus] New Reader Impressions

Manuel Schmalstieg webdev at ms-studio.net
Fri May 10 12:51:51 UTC 2013

Sharon, I agree with you. Let's launch a Scribus design task force!

Having that kind of "semi-professional" look and feel is very normal in the
area of non-commercial software. And it's a general trend, in the field of
science, or of software engineering. Look for instance at the web page of
Tim Berners-Lee http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/ – it's certainly not
a matter of lack of funds, it's just a different mindset. Among software
engineers, you *dont'* judge a book by looking at the inside, not by it's
cover (quite the opposite, actually).

If a few people join forces and invest the needed energy, we may perhaps
achieve something. As an inspiration, we can look at the FontForge website
redesign, that went from this - http://fontforge.org/ - to this more
inviting version : http://fontforge.github.io/

On the other hand, here is a bad example of slapping "professional design"
on a FLOSS project in an artificial way – the new landing page for
LibreOffice, that was commissioned from some design agency:
http://www.libreoffice.org/