[scribus] newcomer with font problem

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Mar 14 12:10:14 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 10:49 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> Good morning from Japan
> I just 2-3 days ago downloaded Scribus and would like to use it.
> Recently, I wrote a "book" using Libreoffice. Inserting pictures and
> keeping text aligned was an ORDEAL to put it mildly.
>
> So, I thought maybe a DTP software might be helpful.
>
> Problem:
> I wrote tex text in Japanese.
> When I try to copy some of that text into a Scribus textbox, I get a row
> of empty squares.
> The documentation says:
> Go to Preferences -> Fonts -> Additional path
> I added here the pathto the Fonts available on my computer (Japanese
> Windows XP)
> The list of available fonts actually lists the Japanese fonts (although
> not with their Japanese name).
>
> Nevertheless, they are not displayed. (I assume, they would also not be
> printed ...)
>
> Is there a way to change this?

Yes, most likely if it's not displayed, it won't be printed.

Here is a way to experiment:

Make a text frame, then either use Story Editor or start Edit Contents
mode. Then choose Insert > Glyph to bring up the Character Palette. From
there, click the button depicting a small table and you bring up the
Enhanced Character Palette, where you can go through your fonts to see
of the characters you need show in the chosen font. You might insert a
few to see if they then show up in the frame on the main screen. If you
don't find your font in this palette, then Scribus hasn't found it.

The other thing to consider is whether there may be a character encoding
issue.

Greg