[scribus] Did the Scribus team post an [LGM] report?

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Thu Jun 6 05:53:42 UTC 2013

Hi John,

> Will the 1,5,0 release be made with all the variations for Linux,
> Windows and Mac available?

First, we need to have a finished 1.5.0 ;) Once it has been released, the Scribus Team will build packages for the OSes and distros supported by us (Mac OS X, Windows, certain Linux distros, as well as GNU/Hurd via Debian). We also have some busy bees who are porting Scribus to OS/2, eComStation and Haiku, but expect the release of these ports to be delayed, since they need to port a lot of other stuff to the respective systems first.

As to Linux distributions not directly supported by the Scribus Team, as well as the BSD Unices and Solaris/OpenIndiana, users will have to wait until volunteers have created packages for these systems.

> Will we have more months of trying to convince newcomers that this
> "unstable" release is really a production release? Heck I am using it
> now with no problems. I remember the months (years?) that new users
> struggled with problems on 1.3.3.x and found out that no developers were
> working on that version any more and almost all users had moved
> on also.

1.5.0 won't be a production-ready version. If all goes well, the new features (and there are many more to come; see, e.g.: http://www.scribus-ece.info/) will be included, and that's where the polishing process starts. Believe me, there will be quite a lot of polishing required. Also don't forget that at one point during this process we need to finally switch to Qt5, as only Qt5 provides some features we need to finish certain development targets (like finally splitting up the PP).

Once the official 1.5.0 is out in the wild, we may proceed via 1.5.1, perhaps 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 to 1.6.0 stable. Between 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 new features should only be added if they are non-disruptive and are reasonable stable. For instance, Alessandro's e-pub exporter could be added post 1.5.0 if it's a plug-in that doesn't require any internal changes.

I have spent a lot of time recently to update the 1.5.0 Roadmap (http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.x_Roadmap). Please also consult http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_1.5.0_Release_Schedule to get an idea as to how all this might proceed. In the end, it's all a matter of developer/tester/translator/documenter time.

Kind regards,


More information about the scribus mailing list