[scribus] glyph rendering question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 03:37:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 21:09:30 -0600
Steve Wright <stevew at etmeli.us> dijo:

>I'm having trouble getting two characters to render (using Helvetica
>of all fonts) using Scribus 1.4.1 under Windows 7.  One is the "heart
>shape" character - ♥ -, which I can use an image for if I have to.
>The other is a big surprise, though.  I cannot get the Č (needed for
>Karel Čapek, creator of the word *robot*) to work, and I know that
>Scribus is used in countries where that character pops up all the time.
>
>Anyone give me any troubleshooting pointers?  I already checked that
>the fonts were set for "subset", based on something in the wiki about
>Asian languages.

I'm unclear what you mean by "render." Do you mean they display on
screen, but not in an exported PDF? Or that they appear in Story Editor
but not in canvas view? Or that they appear everywhere but won't print?

The usual root of this problem is that the font does not contain the
glyph. Here, the Story Editor will lie to you and display the glyph,
but in canvas view the glyph will not appear. If it appears in canvas
view it ought to print and it ought to make it into the PDF, assuming
the PDF export is set properly.

If the glyph is in the font and it appears in canvas view, but does not
appear in a PDF, try setting the font to "outline" in the PDF export
options.