[scribus] Grafiklabor on January 6th 2013: Scribus Scripting with Python

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Jan 1 17:59:43 UTC 2013

Scribus Scripting with Python

Sunday, January 6th 2013
14:00 - 18:00

Grafiklabor, Zurich
Creativ Design, Rennes
+ Online participation

One of the nice features of Scribus, is that you can write simple
Python scripts and create new features or automate repetitive tasks.

During this workshop we will discover the new Scripter engine Henning
and Jain have been working on, over the last few years. It is now part
of Scribus 1.5.0svn and it will be the default Scripter engine shipped
with Scribus 1.6.

We will first have a look at the concepts behind the Scripter and find
the main differences with the current Engine.

In a second step we will take the existing Calendar script -- which is
distributed with Scribus --, rewrite it to use the new Scripter and
publish it in the Scribus Wiki.
Depending on the number of participants we will work all together by
using a collaborative text editor or split the script in tasks and
define small groups working on each tasks.

If there is some time left, we will learn how to add new commands to the
new Scripter.

We will keep a log of the workshop and publish our notes on the new
Scripter as a blog article.

The Workshop will be both a real life event at Grafiklabor, Dock 18 in
Zurich, Switzerland and at Creativ Design in Rennes, France. You will
also be able to attend as an online participant.

All you need is:
- a computer with Linux installed
- Scribus 1.5.0svn with the new Scripter
  - compiled with the following cmake parameters:
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/yourname/bin/scribus
-DWANT_DEBUG=1 -DWANT_SCRIPTER2=1 -DWANT_GUI_LANG="en_GB;de;fr;it;en" ..
  - if it can help, we can provide a PPA that you can install in Ubuntu
    and Linux Mint.

At both venues, we will provide laptops with the needed software
installed.

To help us with organizing, you're invited to register at

http://doodle.com/ei6xc5euy3un5p8g

Have a nice start to the year!
a.l.e