[scribus] 1.4.2 and Fedora 18

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Feb 22 12:52:33 UTC 2013

hi christoph,
> We have discussed this over and over again in the past. The documentation *is* free, but it's not fair game, i.e., you cannot take it and publish a printed copy without permission from the authors. That's basically the only restriction.

having discussed this issue in the past does not seem to have solved it.
it pops up again and again.

and i'm a bit puzzled, that you say that it's a non issue, but one of
your co-authors, is complaining about the documentation not being
included in his distribution of choice.

blaming others projects because they don't bother enough to do some work
to compensate a lack of freedom / separate packaging in scribus... is
this the the way to go?

looking at the way the scribus documentation has evolved, i really would
welcome if you could take the current documentation, make it really
nonfree and do some real marketing for it. sell it!

and, by default, leave a free documentation in scribus, one that is less
complete than the one currently existing, but one that can be
distributed with each copy of scribus. one that can be replaced by the
commercial one, if the user has bought it / buys it. i have no problem
with some publicity for the commercial version in the free version (if
the sells at least partially go to the scribus project). and with "pay
and download" button!
(yes, there is enough stuff in the wiki to put together a basic free
documentation...)

finally, one day, you may discover that when the rest of the world (or
at least of the computer world) uses a well known set of definitions for
free, saying "free but..." is very likely the same as saying "non free"
for many practical uses.

this is the main reason why it's not a good idea to use a self baked
free license for a free project.
and this is why, despite deeply welcoming the idea that free software
should restrict the use for military purposes, i'm glad that none of the
mainstream free licenses has this restriction!

ciao
a.l.e