[scribus] question

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Aug 24 17:43:21 UTC 2013

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:26:23 +0200
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi

> > > There's "Collect for output" in the File menu. No document at hand
> > > to see what it does, but it looks as if it creates a directory and
> > > puts all the stuff in there.
> > >
> > > Anyway, i would appreciate the option to have everything stored in
> > > one file. Easyer to handle in some cases.
> > >

> > Something that could be done would be to create a .zip file from a
> > directory and its contents, and you could do this yourself. This is
> > in essence what an ePub is. It might be worth a consideration for
> > Scribus to have the capability of unzipping such a file. It can gzip
> > an .sla file. Perhaps a 2-step process of Collect for Output, then
> > zip. I wonder if a script might be written to do this zipping....
> >
> > The problem with saving images in .sla files is the size. You might
> > have a multi-MB file for one picture, and some Scribus projects have
> > dozens or hundreds of pictures.
>
> oh, so true!
>
> personally, i'm interested in a new type of format that would allow
> replacing single resources one at a time and still have a good
> performance.
>
> we would then have an index of all resources and each frame, style
> set, image, ... is stored as an individual resource in a "package".
>
> my first thoughts went to sqlite, but i don't see much of a relational
> structure.
>
> dictionaries seem to be more the thing i'm looking for... but i have
> no experience with them. does anybody know of an embeddable nosql
> engine that could fit?
> does the idea of nosql fit all for this task?
>
> does anybody know if zip and tar can cope well with replacing files?
>
> an embedded fuse virtual driver?
>
> and, yes, the main idea is that one should not have to save the
> whole .sla anymore, but only the parts that have changed.
> and in a perfect world, it should work in both a transparent (you see
> in the file system the single items) and a package mode.
>

> does anybody have some technical experience in this topics?
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Decades ago some text editors stored multiple editions of a file, but
the later editions were just the additions and subtractions, the
deltas if you like, from the last version. You could always
back up to any of a number of versions. Univac 1108 had such an editor.
The *nix "diff" command can be run in a way that creates such a delta.

Hope this is helpful.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press