[scribus] question

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Sat Aug 24 12:26:23 UTC 2013

hi

> On 08/23/2013 08:30 AM, Thorsten Rochelmeyer wrote:
> >
> > Am 23.08.2013 13:22, schrieb Hans Schmidt:
> >> But in some cases, storing everything in one file is really quite
> >> comfortable. For example, if you want to just save documents on the
> >> disk, it is easier to navigate with them with single files than
> >> with folders.
> > There's "Collect for output" in the File menu. No document at hand
> > to see what it does, but it looks as if it creates a directory and
> > puts all the stuff in there.
> >
> > Anyway, i would appreciate the option to have everything stored in
> > one file. Easyer to handle in some cases.
> >

> Something that could be done would be to create a .zip file from a
> directory and its contents, and you could do this yourself. This is
> in essence what an ePub is. It might be worth a consideration for
> Scribus to have the capability of unzipping such a file. It can gzip
> an .sla file. Perhaps a 2-step process of Collect for Output, then
> zip. I wonder if a script might be written to do this zipping....
>
> The problem with saving images in .sla files is the size. You might
> have a multi-MB file for one picture, and some Scribus projects have
> dozens or hundreds of pictures.

oh, so true!

personally, i'm interested in a new type of format that would allow
replacing single resources one at a time and still have a good
performance.

we would then have an index of all resources and each frame, style set,
image, ... is stored as an individual resource in a "package".

my first thoughts went to sqlite, but i don't see much of a relational
structure.

dictionaries seem to be more the thing i'm looking for... but i have no
experience with them. does anybody know of an embeddable nosql engine
that could fit?
does the idea of nosql fit all for this task?

does anybody know if zip and tar can cope well with replacing files?

an embedded fuse virtual driver?

and, yes, the main idea is that one should not have to save the
whole .sla anymore, but only the parts that have changed.
and in a perfect world, it should work in both a transparent (you see in
the file system the single items) and a package mode.

does anybody have some technical experience in this topics?

ciao
a.l.e