[scribus] Cannot retrieve Story Editor dialogue box

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Nov 22 15:12:18 UTC 2012

On 11/22/2012 09:38 AM, Robin Dean (Google) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have happily been using Scribus 1.4.1 with Windows XP Professional for
> the last 3 or 4 months with no major problem.
>
> Yesterday I moved the Story Editor dialogue box to the bottom of the
> screen and it 'disappeared'. I have not been able to bring it back
> either through Ctrl T or right click Edit text or Edit/ Edit Text - have
> I managed to set a switch which does not display the text box?
>
> The story editor dialogue box does not appear at all whether it has text
> in it or is empty.
>
> I even tried re-loading and re-installing 1.4.1 and this did not cure
> the problem.

You will need to get to your prefs settings. Make sure you close Scribus.

Look in C:\\Documents and Settings\yourusername\.scribus

and you should find one or more files starting with prefs, maybe prefs14.

Open with Notepad and go down to find under <level name = "plugin"> and
"Story Editor", the settings for the dialog. change the "left" and "top"
settings to something within your screen, then save this file.

If this seems too complicated, you can delete the whole .scribus
directory, or just the prefs14 file and they will be automatically
regenerated when you start Scribus, but of course, you will have to
reset all your preferences again.

Greg