[scribus] Scribus as technical drawing tool

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Tue May 1 12:50:55 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 08:48, Sveinn í Felli wrote:
> Þann fim 12.apr 2012 01:31, skrifaði John Beardmore:

>>> select all the text item and do "path> object to path". do
>>> it on a
>>> copy of your svg in order to keep the editable version.
>>
> -----------------
>> There has been some strangeness though. On some of my
>> attempts to import the SVG, nothing appeared. When I now try
>> and make a PDF, I get warning messages about "Free Objects".
>> There are various texts, layers, rects and paths, and
>> something identified as g3060. All are shown as "Object is
>> not on a Page".
>>
>> Any clues as to how this might have arisen, and how to get
>> rid of
>> them ?
>
> Probably your object landed somewhere way off the page.
> How did you 'import' the SVG?
>
> I did a quick test; your SVG is fine (except the Arial thingie) and
> shows nicely in Konqueror previews and in Inkscape.
> Make an image frame -> Get image -> Adjust image to frame is the way I
> 'imported' the SVG, had to choose 'All files' in the filetype dropdown
> (may vary between OS's)

I've just tried doing it this way. When I 'get image', I get a diagonal
cross in the box, with the name of the SVG file in the middle, but when
I select and right click on the image, I don't get the 'Adjust image to
frame' option.  (Trying it in 1.4.1)

> Had no warnings when saving or printing as PDF.

Haven't tried printing as can't yet import this way.

Importing via 'File->Import->Get Image' I have been able to incorporate
an SVG which looks good and comes out OK in PDFs. I've not tried
printing though.

Oddly, when I import, the imported SVG is inconveniently big to work
with. As SVGs are inherently scalable, would it be possible to import
the SVG to the current page, and fit it within it ?

It's also odd that although in Inkscape the logo has been laid out on a
page of size customised to be exactly covered by the logo, on import to
scribus, the image (long and rectangular), appears in a large square
frame of some kind which frequently seems to end up going over the edge
of the page. Does anybody know how to avoid this, if it's normal, and if
it matters ?  It doesn't seem to stop things working, but it's the sort
of unsolicited strangeness that unnerves users !

Importing this way though, I got the impression that the black in the
logo was a lighter shade. I'll have to check what rgb Inkscape thinks it is.

Many thanks, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Registered Office: 181 Belper Road, Stanley Common, Ilkeston. DE7 6FT