[scribus] Scribus as technical drawing tool

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Tue May 1 12:34:35 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 07:56, Lars Behrens wrote:
> John Beardmore schrieb:

>> Thanks. That certainly is importable. There is still a grumble about
>> unsupported features, and the aspect ratio is a bit wrong, but that's
>
> In my experience, ungrouping all content in the svg before exporting
> helps a lot.

Thanks Lars, I'll try that next time.

I have high hopes for SVG. I'm astonished really that vector graphics
haven't played a bigger part in day to day computing.

I guess this is in part due to the problems inherent with the various
file formats.

Postscript seems to be brilliant, but propitiatory. EPS seemed to be an
attempt at something more portable but frequently doesn't seem to be
interpreted well by packages that can import it. PDF is great and has a
lot of potential for interactivity which seems to be locked down to
Adobe, but hats off to Adobe anyway for the gift of Postscript.

Then there's windows metafiles which are flawed in oh so many ways, and
'enhanced' metafiles which gave us whole new ways to make something hard
to use.

Then there's all the cad formats, again mostly propitiatory (anything
good that isn't ?), mostly using software with price tags that lock out
mere mortals.

Given the problems with all of the above, SVG seems to be the great
white hope to me, but only if it becomes standard enough to import as
easily as .tif or .jpg image.

If you have to mess with it, and use a restricted of subset of features
to make it work sensibly, again it won't catch on, and it's use will be
confined to niches where interoperability issues are understood.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Registered Office: 181 Belper Road, Stanley Common, Ilkeston. DE7 6FT