[scribus] a new ebook

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jun 14 18:29:07 UTC 2012

hi patrick,

> I'm curious, are you going to handle color management issues in your
> epub export, and if so, how?  This is especially an issue if a user
> is working with CMYK colors or images.  Assuming they assign a
> profile (output intent), the colors will get converted to the
> printable gamut (to L*a*b* and then to RGB), which is less than the
> gamut of RGB.  Some profiles will have a bigger gamut, but still not
> quite as big as you can get with RGB.
>
> This is not just an issue for Scribus.  I'm curious if/how any of the
> e-reader exporters handle this problem.

interesting question...

basically, the idea is to export the content in a way that it can be
further processed to create a good epub.

the most important feature, is to keep all the styles you have applied
(both character and paragraph), approximatively export their values in a
central css file, keep the italics and bolds, the sub and superscript.

all the visual side will be in the css file which you will be able to
tweak at will (or use every month the same tweaked css for your
magazine).

as said, for now scribus won't become an epub editor, so, i'm not sure
that it makes sense to put so much effort in keeping such details (i'm
not against in doing as much as possible right... but i won't spend
sleepless nights to match the color between cmyk and rgb :-)

have a nice evening
a.l.e