[scribus] a new ebook

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Jun 11 16:47:08 UTC 2012

hi peter,

>> could you please explain what you mean here?
> It is more or less the same problem that web designers have been
> facing for years. When you are designing a book for print, you know
> the media. You know the page size, you know the resolution needed for
> images, you know if the media can handle color or not.
>
> For an e-book, you don't know much of that. Maybe the reader will even
> use a speech reader to read the book.
>
>> the idea behind my plugin is that you can export your scribus work in
>> some sort of html that is suitable to produce an ebook.
> I think it would be better to create the content somewhere else, and
> then import into Scribus for print and into some other application for
> e-books. So, better import filters for Scribus would be a better way,
> essentially making Scribus an "adjsutable CSS" for the content.
>
>> in fact, the plugin will produce an ebook, but with very little control
>> how the conversion takes place. so, if you want to produce a nice ebook
>> you will probably have to further edit its layout in an ebook editor.
> So, first edit in Scribus, then edit in another application? And what
> if you discover in the other application that there are changes needed
> also in the Scribus version? The back to Scribus, make a new export?
> Or try to keep two different versions synched... well, what was the
> advantage with using one source?

i fully agree that getting the content straight before importing it into
scribus *is* the best way to work.

having a way to share the textual content would also be wonderful! but
it seems to be a hard task...
(a nice tale: a few weeks ago, a user was disappointed but the lack of
external text sources in scribus, "slammed" the door and announced that
he would go for ID, that does it right... after two weeks he was back
with the remark, that it's indeed hard to get it done right :-)

as greg wrote in another mail: this plugin is for people with less than
a perfect workflows and does not exclude other developments in the
future (in the contrary, it lets me collect some experiences which could
be interesting for a possible future content synchronization...).

have fun
a.l.e