[scribus] wrong hyphenating

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 14 18:33:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:01:37 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> I just tried out hyphenation with LibreOffice, and it created the
> line break for "understanding" as "un- derstanding", in which case
> one would say un- is indeed the first syllable, but for reading and
> typographic purposes you don't want it hyphenated that way.
>
> Greg
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

The creator of TeX went into this problem in great detail. It
uses an hyphenation algorithm as developed by Frank Liang. There are
also extensive exception dictionaries for many different languages. If
there is interest the developers could look at Appendix H in "The
TeXBook."
TeX by design avoids hyphenation like:

wee-knights and the-rapist

by using those extensive exception dictionaries.

I only set up my Texlive installation for U.S. English. But if
there is interest I can do a reinstall of other languages and
examine those files. Also if there is interest I can inquire on
comp.text.tex (or a developer can.) There are some real experts
on that newsgroup.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: