[scribus] wrong hyphenating

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Jul 14 14:01:37 UTC 2012

On 07/14/2012 01:29 AM, Tauba-Raymonde STAROSWIECKI wrote:
> In french text, I frequently face exactly the same problem, use the same turn around (conditional hyphens) and am forced to check and recheck and recheck end of lines when the text get changes... One exemple of word regularly wrongly hyphenated is the country name "Israël" which is cut "Is-raël" (wrong) or word "Israéliens" which is cut "Is-raéliens" (wrong) instead of "Israé-liens" (right although sounds strange...).

Unless French has some odd way of making syllables, I don't see how
Is-raël is wrong in an absolute sense, it's just a bad choice
typographically. Aren't there 3 syllables in Israël? In English we would
probably choose not to hyphenate either Israel or Israeli.

I just tried out hyphenation with LibreOffice, and it created the line
break for "understanding" as "un- derstanding", in which case one would
say un- is indeed the first syllable, but for reading and typographic
purposes you don't want it hyphenated that way.

Greg