[scribus] Building Scribus 1.5 for Windows

John L. Poole jlpoole56 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:23:21 UTC 2012

I've invested over 30 hours grappling with building the current high
watermark of Scribus 1.5 from within Subversion.  I'm using Microsoft's
Visual
Studio Express 2010.

I've learned that only one developer, Jean Ghali, within this project
does the Windows
build.  I have not had any communication with Jean as yet.

I haven't succeeded so far.   I am at a point where all the dependencies
are built.  That, in itself, was a very time consuming endeavor complicated
by the fact that I'm using the 2010 version of Microsoft's product instead
of the 2008.  The 2008 project files had to be tweaked to adjust absolute
path values.  And then, Microsoft changed the structure of their
project/solution
files between 2008 and 2010.

What I am seeing is the complexity of the pointers contained
within the Microsoft Project/Solution files  to the
various dependency files (headers, lib, and dlls)
  and I'm thinking these requirements need to be
articulated in an XML file and their essence automated into the Microsoft
environment (via Perl) so there is not this nightmarish hand-editing
within layers of
dialog boxes that Visual Studio is so generous at serving up. It would
be really
sweet if the compile could be completely scripted so one does not have to
even open the Visual Studio window interface to accomplish the task of
creating the desired dynamic link library.

At work, we automate as much as possible, and I'm thinking the
building of Scribus for Windows is something that could benefit from
more automation.  At the least, a complete staging area of the various
project
dependencies could be created by Perl scripts saving someone from
several hours just finding
and downloading and unzipping the projects.  Automatic modification of
the Microsoft
project/solution files, given their XML structure, would be a handy.

I have a goal  to have Windows builds of Scribus from the high watermark
available.
If the high watermark does not build, then the failure needs to be
brought to the
attention of the developers sooner rather than later.

Would those who are interested in what I am doing and might like to be
guinea pigs
for have an auto-build on their Windows machine please contact me off
(or on)
the list.   I'm working from Windows 7 SP1 with Microsoft Visual Studio
Express 2010
  and will be focused on that environment for the moment.

By the way, I'm a Gentoo Linux enthusiast and the SVN 1.5 trunk builds
very nicely on my Gentoo box.

John L. Poole