[scribus] wrong hyphenating

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 14 18:09:34 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:37:52 +0200
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> bonjour tauba,
>
> > In french text, I frequently face exactly the same problem, use the
> > same turn around (conditional hyphens) and am forced to check and
> > recheck and recheck end of lines when the text get changes... One
> > exemple of word regularly wrongly hyphenated is the country name
> > "Israël" which is cut "Is-raël" (wrong) or word "Israéliens"
> > which is cut "Is-raéliens" (wrong) instead of
> > "Israé-liens" (right although sounds strange...).
> >
> > I faced the problem with 1.3.5, and the same now with 1.4.0 or
> > 1.4.1...
>
> i wonder what the best way is to solve such problems.
>
> as far i understand it, scribus is using libreoffice / openoffice
> hyphenation files.

TeX (all versions) uses a hypehation algorithm created by Frank
Liang. It also has extensive exception dictionaries, controlled
by a parameter \language. American English is language0 and
French is language1. My particular copy of TeX was installed with
only American English. But if there is interest I can download
Texlive again with French as another chosen language.

In the interests of not reinventing the wheel, yet getting a
first rate product, the developers could look into "The TeXBook"
and study appendix H. I can also inquire on comp.text.tex, again
if there is interest.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: