[scribus] Font selection

Frank Cox melville.theatre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 06:53:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 08:12:46 +0200
a.l.e wrote:

> - are you aware of the fact that you can edit the text in the frame
>   itself and that you can use the text tab of the properties palette to
>   reach a lot more settings?

That I actually did know.  But I still have the same slow-scrolling list of
fonts there that I get directly in the Story Editor.

No-one has yet addressed this issue, which seems to me to be a bug in the
behaviour of the program:

I open the story editor, select a font. and start typing a line of text.  The
font name that I selected shows in the scroll box as I type, but if I move the
cursor back over what I typed, I see that the font is actually still set to
the default font.  (The font name changes to the default font in the scroll
box.) The only way that I can set a font other than the default is to
highlight the text after typing it out and then select the font.

> - for sure, scribus will have to find a new way to manage fonts and
>   make it easy to reduce the number of fonts shown!
>   the exact way it will be done, is not defined yet...

I don't know if it's really necessary to provide a method for reducing the
number of fonts shown, assuming that a better (faster) way can be found to
select a font from what is available.  Once again, I'll hold up
Open/Libreoffice as an example of a good way to present available fonts.  Each
font's name is printed using that font, so you get a built-in sample sheet, and
there is a scroll bar on the side of the menu that you can use to zip up and
down the list at any speed you choose.