[scribus] page grid asymetry

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Jan 25 17:19:42 UTC 2012

Am 25.01.2012 15:10, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 01/25/2012 03:23 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
>> hi hadmut,

>>> I plan to create photobooks with inkscape since I am more than tired
>>> of these proprietary windows programs printing service providers
>>> offer.
>>>
>>> Therefore, I want to place pictures of varying sizes and orientations
>>> in a regular way.
>>
>> that's what a typographic grid is for.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_%28page_layout%29
>>
>> you don't have to use it in a dogmatic way (as the article correctly
>> points out), but if you're going for a grid, i think that this is the
>> way to go!

>>> I do know these guides.
>>>
>>> However, If I add all those guides I'd need for a photobook of 200
>>> pages, I'd end up in creating the grid manually.
>>
>> it takes a few seconds to create a full typographic grid. you will
>> place it in your master pages
>
> I would think you might want to have this grid on a layer of its own,
> which can be visible or invisible, and never print. If you used a single
> grid, it would need to be designed to function for both right and left
> pages, or you could have two separate layers, one for right, one for
> left, switching on and off as needed -- just leave the Layers dialog
> open as you work.
>
> Greg

In that article, there is a double-line grid. Of the double lines, I
understand the meaning of each right line, but what are the left lines
good for? Do they only form an optical barrier to make a distance from
the last letter of the left column to the first of the right column
(which the designer can respect or not)? Or would they have a program
function, i. e. for instance wrap the text if it crosses that border?

In practice (i. e. in Scribus :-) ) I would have made two text frames as
columns and set the paragraphs within as the styles want it. If I wanted
the paragraphs to stay on one horizontal level, I would take care they
have the same number of lines with the same styles. Only if that is not
possible, I would use another text frame with a new paragraph and set it
at the right horizontal position to balance that. And yes, then I would
need some horizontal guidance. Or would you consider this amateur-like?

Regards

Rolf