[scribus] issue with Scribus' justification (WAS: move pages to new doc)

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 13:56:54 UTC 2012

On 01/20/2012 03:38 AM, Jean Mielot wrote:
> Essentially it's about justification causing huge gaps.
>
> In Indesign this was fixable with setting min/normal/max on
> glyph scaling, kerning and word spacing.
>
> Scribus has a min for glyph scaling (which tends to create very visibly
> smaller characters (which was undetectable in Indesign) and scribus
> has min word spacing, but once again no normal/max and no option for
> flexible kerning.
>
> All these setting combined in Indesign...
>
> ie. Glyph scaling: min 97% max 103%
> Kerning: min 90% max 110% etc.
>
> allowed for perfect justification with very few to no large gaps.
>
> As I said before I will later after I've sent to printers, put some
> examples somewhere on the web for you to have a look at.
> I think this issue is quite an involved one to fix.

It will certainly be of interest to see something which demonstrates
what you are talking about.

One thing worth trying to do is to mentally divorce yourself from the
InDesign method and tools. Operations with a similar or same name may
not work in the same way, so comparing settings likely will not make sense.

I tried just now to fiddle, shall we say, with various settings, using a
sans and a serif font, setting the display scaling at 400%, and I have a
hard time recognizing "large gaps", even before using any of the
advanced techniques. As far as glyph scaling and flexible kerning, in
Scribus, glyph extension not only manages to change the size of some
visible glyph, it also affects the space between glyphs, thus
accomplishing variable kerning.

Eventually, there would need to be some science to this, no doubt
starting with some examples which illustrate the problem(s), but then
trying to make some measurements to specify the magnitude of the
problem. Since we know that at times the display in Scribus may not
exactly reflect the end result on paper, the measurements would need to
be done after printing (although looking at a high magnification of the
PDF onscreen may be useful sometimes).

Lastly, one should go back to the basic situation with no advanced
settings, to decide whether that might actually produce the best result.

Greg