[scribus] issue with Scribus' justification (WAS: move pages to new doc)

Jean Mielot j.mielot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 08:38:17 UTC 2012

On 20/01/2012 10:27, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi jean,
>
>> This is a BIG issue for me.
>> I'm just on deadline today for the mag (ironically called The Big
>> Issue) After today I will get back to you with some screenshot
>> examples of where the justification issue lies - it really is a
>> problem for me. My editor wants me to go back to Indesign for this
>> reason - and I really don't want to :-(
>>
>> Anyways...will be an interesting discussion for sure.
> you know that the scribus community (and most of all the team!) is known
> for issueing patches overnight, when there are important issues
> affecting production and somebody has a deadline to face?
>
> ... well, this can only happen if somebody can find a workaround that
> fast! but it has already happened many times!
>

> clearly, in this specific case i can't say if the issue could have been
> solved, since i don't know hat the issue is...
>
> but, maybe, there is a simple workaround you're not aware of...
>

> ciao
> a.l.e
That is the really great thing about an open source community for sure.

However - unfortunately...even if I fix the issue at this point in time,
it will throw out text on every page, which would mean massive
amounts of tweaking - and unfortunately that time is not available.

For this issue - it's ok - we have allowed it to go through, but I will need
to find a workaround for the next issue if I am to stay with Scribus.

Essentially it's about justification causing huge gaps.

In Indesign this was fixable with setting min/normal/max on
glyph scaling, kerning and word spacing.

Scribus has a min for glyph scaling (which tends to create very visibly
smaller characters (which was undetectable in Indesign) and scribus
has min word spacing, but once again no normal/max and no option for
flexible kerning.

All these setting combined in Indesign...

ie. Glyph scaling: min 97% max 103%
Kerning: min 90% max 110% etc.

allowed for perfect justification with very few to no large gaps.

As I said before I will later after I've sent to printers, put some
examples somewhere on the web for you to have a look at.
I think this issue is quite an involved one to fix.

I might myself also have a look at the code for that, but obviously
not right away.

Anyways

Back to work.