[scribus] Importing from LibreOffice but using Scribus Styles

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 20:53:46 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 01:50 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 06:26 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> We've also discussed whether whatever it is that SE does (and maybe
>> there is little or nothing that it does uniquely) might simply be
>> incorporated into editing in the main window, and do without SE
>> altogether.
>
> The main thing I use the SE for is applying paragraph styles one
> paragraph at a time. I find it an easy, quick, intuitive way to apply
> them and would like to retain that ability. Also, I find setting bits of
> text to italic, superscript or whatever quite simple. It fits my minor
> needs exactly.

But let's imagine we might have a facility in Edit Contents mode, where
simply placing the cursor in a paragraph, then selecting a Paragraph
Style, you change the style for that paragraph only.

If you want to only select a word or sentence, then highlight those
words, select Character Style. Maybe even highlight, then right-click,
and you get a drop-down list of Character styles or a choice to bring up
the Edit Styles Manager. This would not prevent you from going to
Properties and simply selecting a bold font.

Technically, each Paragraph Style has a Character Style inside of it, so
it might be a matter of making this fact more obvious by making not only
a named Paragraph Style but also a named Character Style whenever a
Paragraph Style is created. Right now I think it's a bit confusing,
since one might apply a Paragraph Style to an entire paragraph, then
select a word or two inside, apply a different Paragraph Style, but
really all you apply is the Character subset of that Paragraph Style.

Again, we have to keep asking why we need the SE at all... (we know what
a.l.e thinks)

Greg