[scribus] Importing from LibreOffice but using Scribus Styles

Richard Foley richard.foley at rfi.net
Thu Jan 5 11:27:30 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew,

I nearly have the same problem as you have, and was frustrated not to receive
any reply from the Scribus lists on the issue.  My problem is almost easier, in
that I want to import plain text, and have styles applied automatically.  I
don't want to have to apply styles manually in LibreOffice *or* in Scribus.
This would mean Scribus has to understand LibreOffice formatting, which it
*might* be able to do, but is entirely understandable if it doesn't.  However
using the existing Scribus paragraph formatting configuration/scripting
facility is simple and intuitive, if you can mark up your text in advance.

For paragraph formatting one can use the "getText" from a text file menu
option.  At this point I can apply paragraph text filters to the content based
on a paragraph *prefix*, I have chosen "\h1", "\p1" and "\p2", and so forth.
This works *really* well!  Possibly this is a ruse you could use to export from
LibreOffice if you can apply paragraph prefixes based on your styles?

My issues was: to be able to also apply character styles to text snippets.
There are two ways I can see this being done using the same technique.

1. Scribus recognises START and END tags for character styles, eg;
    [ text here ] or {{{ more text here }}} etc.

2. Scribus recognises character styles per word, eg;

    \c1text \c1here or \c2more \c2text \c2here

The second would appear simple to implement within the current paragraph style
paradigm.  Scribus could run the paragraph and character styles in the sequence
specified from the getText configuration pane.  It would be good to get some
feedback as to whether this is possible, or likely, at the moment or in the
near future.

--
Ciao

Richard Foley