[scribus] Character palette: Usage?

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Feb 2 11:35:54 UTC 2012

hi jluc,

> I dont understand why the choosed glyph is inserted in default font
> and not in choosed font. I dont see any reason to do so.
>
> Inserting a default font characted when the user asks for a dingbat
> glyph is as weird as inserting a red glyph when the user asks for a
> green glyph.

imo, this is only a small part of scribus' weirdness with local
formatting.

i think that there is a need for somebody going through all the cases
and preparing a proposal on how things could be improved.

imo, it should be a well thought concept, not just a list of requests.
it should contain an explicit analysis of all corner cases.
the solutions are probably not simple and even if everybody sees that
there is a problem here, i understand that the team waits for a better
solution being defined before starting programming something new.

in this specific case one of the questions which are open is:
now, you've inserted a glyph from the palette and it has correctly been
set to zapfdingbats. if you then type the next char in the frame
itself, which font should the new char have? the one you were using in
the frame or the one applied from the "insert glyph" dialog? i guess
that -- most of the time -- you want to continue with the font you had
in the frame...

this is how non programmers can really help improving scribus: by
producing exact and detailed specifications of how the scribus should
behave.
the programmers work is then much simpler!

don't get me wrong, "just" pointing to problems, bugs an wishes is also
something very useful, but there are chances that it then will be
lying on a dusty pile of tasks, reserved for the future :-)

hth
a.l.e