[scribus] Development environment

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue Dec 4 19:51:12 UTC 2012

Hi

> 1) Is there something that describes the development environment and tools that are being used?
> (Yes, there is a good description of how to get the archive installed onto one's system, what third
> party libs are required and then how to build it using cmake). That works great.

The development environment is completely up to your preferences. Anything from a commmand line text
editor through to software like Eclipse or Qt Create or Kdevelop, or whatever you choose.. will
work. All the third party libs are the same as those for building Scribus, nothing more, and are
documented on the wiki.

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Official:Compile_with_CMake is one reference.
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake might also provide what you need.

> For instance, can you use eclipse (what I'm familiar with) to manage and build and submit? I see
> that QT Creator is used, but as I'm not familiar with it, does it support management of many of non
> c/c++ files and functionality (eg. python files for scripter). What do the existing contributors use?

I think we mostly use text editors, Qt Creator, Kdevelop or MSVC on Linux, OSX and Windows. As I
said, it doesn't matter. Most of us probably commit to our private SVN repo from command line.

> 2) I would be nice for those new to the project to have a document indicating the expectations and
> process on how to make, test and submit changes to scribus

True.

> 3) Is it git or svn that should be used going forward? I've seen discussions on this.

If you want a repo to support a project, a git repo can be provided. We use a private SVN repo that
only a few people can commit to, and this is sync'd to the public one. Changes that go into that
private repo are received mainly via submissions to bugs.scribus.net.

> 4) Are there any architecture or design documents? For scripter?

Whatever there was existed on docs.scribus.net and most if not all of that was migrated to
wiki.scribus.net. We don't have much around though.

> If this all exists and I've missed it, my apologies and just send me to the locations.

The wiki and the scribus-dev mailing list on lists.scribus.net are the references you need. We will
answer things pretty quickly. If you want a wiki editing account, please request one on wiki.scribus.net

Craig