[scribus] Scribus as technical drawing tool

Sveinn í Felli sveinki at nett.is
Thu Apr 12 08:33:18 UTC 2012

Hi John,

(a bit late, the thread has evolved some)

Þann mán  9.apr 2012 11:10, skrifaði John Beardmore:
> Because Scribus allows very precise placement and
> dimensioning of objects, I've taken to using it as a basic
> CAD tool.
>
> This would be greatly facilitated though, if it were
> possible to move the origin of the coordinate system, and
> introduce arbitrary scales for the drawing of lines and
> polygons, e.g. 1:150.
>
> Is anybody else using it this way, and is anybody else
> interested in these developments ?
>
> (I know there's an argument for doing this in CAD, and
> that's something we've looked at, but haven't got to grips
> with yet. We're still waiting for a package that will do for
> CAD what Scribus has done for DTP.)

I'm sure Alexandre Prokoudine could give you more pointers.

I'm often using Scribus for annotating and sketching details
based on CAD drawings in PDF-format. What I like is the
ability to load an A1 page into an image frame on an A4/A3
page, panning/zooming at will and putting my text and simple
drawings on top. Sometimes this is for feedback to
(external) designers, sometimes as a supplement for
execution (carpenters/plumbers/etc). Of course, if the
sketches become serious modifications, one has to work on
the source DWGs.

DXFs can also work, but hatches/fills and line thickness
often mess up (as between any CAD software).

What I always have to include, is a warning about not taking
any measurements/calculations off the printed output; even
if I'm able to show the drawing parts close to a certain
scale, it is not verifiable. And the printer
software/drivers (in my case Acrobat + CUPS+Gutenberg) are
not calibrated or officially certified for this kind of work.

So, even if it would be nice to have a sort of scale
awareness for image frames in Scribus, it could be quite
complicated to achieve something useful in the context I was
describing. Meaning, that close to the scope of the
certification biz...

Best regards,

Sveinn í Felli