[scribus] Scribus as a Technical Drawing Tool

Ivan Winters iwinters at virginmedia.com
Mon Apr 9 11:55:25 UTC 2012

John Beardmore said :

> (I know there's an argument for doing this in CAD, and that's something
> we've looked at, but haven't got to grips with yet. We're still waiting
> for a package that will do for CAD what Scribus has done for DTP.)

As someone who occasionally needs to do CAD I have two suggestions to make,
John. I am assuming you want 'Autocad' type of user interface and
capabilities but do not want to pay AutoCad prices. A cheap near copy of
Autocad which I have found very usefull and which is very stable is
progeCad (some copies of Autocad are very unstable - progeCad is stable).
The other Free option is DraftSight from the French Dassault group (that's
the company that builds Mirage jets). The English language version is
excellent. There are free training videos, a users forum and regular
update/info mailouts to all registered users.

Ivan Winters