[scribus] Tutorial

Dale Erwin dale at casaerwin.org
Thu Sep 15 19:29:06 UTC 2011

On 9/15/2011 11:36 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:06:09 -0500
> Dale Erwin<dale at casaerwin.org>  wrote:
>
>> On 9/14/2011 8:21 AM, john Culleton wrote:

>>> Can't address this problem directly. But the so-called "stable"
>>> version you are using is years obsolete and no one is working on
>>> it. Any defects it has it has forever. The version 1.4.0rc5 is what
>>> most of us are using. Some users still prefer earlier developmental
>>> versions in the series 1.3.5 through 1.3.9.
>>>
>>> Here is a quote from the Scribus download web page:
>>> --------------------------------------
>>> Current developmental version is 1.4.0 RC5. This is the fifth
>>> release candidate for the 1.4.0 version. It's sufficiently stable
>>> for many people to run in production environments, but beware of
>>> bugs that might still be there. Report any problems in our bug
>>> tracking system. -------------------------------
>>> It is in fact the new stable in everything but name. I suggest you
>>> move up to it. Then if a problem occurs someone can assist you
>>> better.
>>>
>>> I use two versions: 1.4.0RC 5 and 1.5.0. The latter has one feature
>>> I must have for my work, the output of a document in PDF X/1-a:2001
>>> format. I develop in 1.4.0 RC5 and then load the sla file in 1.5.0
>>> for the final file creation.
>>>

>> Thanks, that's a very good suggestion because I am going to need that
>> PDF X/1-a myself.  So then, I take it 1.4.0RC5 as well as all
>> previous releases cannot do the PDF X/1-a export.
>>

> Right on. But if you get to the point where you need X/1-a and the
> document is 100% otherwise ship me the whole kaboodle via the Collect
> for Output function and I will try to  convert it for you. Don't forget
> to check fonts in the Collect for Output function.
>
> If you are doing a cover and don't want to ship me the cover then just
> save it as tiff. LSI will accept that also.
>
> To recap:
> LSI requires X/1-a format for:
> All covers
> Interiors which have color pages.
>
> It is NOT required for B/W interiors.

I don't know what LSI is (unless it's Large Scale Integration), but Lulu
Press requires PDF with embedded fonts for everything, even B/W.

I designed my last cover on Lulu's web site and I was happy with it, so
I will probably do the same with this one.

--
Dale Erwin
Lurigancho, Lima 15 PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org