[scribus] Tutorial

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Sep 15 16:36:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:06:09 -0500
Dale Erwin <dale at casaerwin.org> wrote:

> On 9/14/2011 8:21 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:34:36 -0500
> > Dale Erwin<dale at casaerwin.org>  wrote:
> >
> >> I am brand new to Scribus (ver. 1.3.3.14 under WinXP SP2) and have
> >> been trying to go thru the tutorial for beginners to acquaint
> >> myself with the program.
> >>
> >> I didn't get too far before a problem arose.  I defined the first
> >> page according to the instructions OK, but when trying to insert
> >> the image frame for the cover photo, in the properties box, I enter
> >> well, then when I enter Height: 280.000 mm and when I tab out of
> >> this field the Width is changed by the program to 208.855 mm.
> >>
> >> There is no mention of this in the tutorial and subsequent images
> >> in the tutorial continue to show that Properties box with the
> >> 210.000 and 280.000 dimensions.
> >>
> >> Thinking I may have done something wrong and not being very far
> >> into the tutorial, I deleted the entire thing and started anew
> >> with the same results.  What have I done wrong?
> >>

> > Can't address this problem directly. But the so-called "stable"
> > version you are using is years obsolete and no one is working on
> > it. Any defects it has it has forever. The version 1.4.0rc5 is what
> > most of us are using. Some users still prefer earlier developmental
> > versions in the series 1.3.5 through 1.3.9.
> >
> > Here is a quote from the Scribus download web page:
> > --------------------------------------
> > Current developmental version is 1.4.0 RC5. This is the fifth
> > release candidate for the 1.4.0 version. It's sufficiently stable
> > for many people to run in production environments, but beware of
> > bugs that might still be there. Report any problems in our bug
> > tracking system. -------------------------------
> > It is in fact the new stable in everything but name. I suggest you
> > move up to it. Then if a problem occurs someone can assist you
> > better.
> >
> > I use two versions: 1.4.0RC 5 and 1.5.0. The latter has one feature
> > I must have for my work, the output of a document in PDF X/1-a:2001
> > format. I develop in 1.4.0 RC5 and then load the sla file in 1.5.0
> > for the final file creation.
> >

> Thanks, that's a very good suggestion because I am going to need that
> PDF X/1-a myself.  So then, I take it 1.4.0RC5 as well as all
> previous releases cannot do the PDF X/1-a export.

Right on. But if you get to the point where you need X/1-a and the
document is 100% otherwise ship me the whole kaboodle via the Collect
for Output function and I will try to  convert it for you. Don't forget
to check fonts in the Collect for Output function.

If you are doing a cover and don't want to ship me the cover then just
save it as tiff. LSI will accept that also.

To recap:
LSI requires X/1-a format for:
All covers
Interiors which have color pages.