[scribus] Tutorial

john Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Sep 15 20:37:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:29:06 -0500
Dale Erwin <dale at casaerwin.org> wrote:

> On 9/15/2011 11:36 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:06:09 -0500
> > Dale Erwin<dale at casaerwin.org>  wrote:

> >> Thanks, that's a very good suggestion because I am going to need
> >> that PDF X/1-a myself.  So then, I take it 1.4.0RC5 as well as all
> >> previous releases cannot do the PDF X/1-a export.
> >>

> > Right on. But if you get to the point where you need X/1-a and the
> > document is 100% otherwise ship me the whole kaboodle via the
> > Collect for Output function and I will try to  convert it for you.
> > Don't forget to check fonts in the Collect for Output function.
> >
> > If you are doing a cover and don't want to ship me the cover then
> > just save it as tiff. LSI will accept that also.
> >
> > To recap:
> > LSI requires X/1-a format for:
> > All covers
> > Interiors which have color pages.
> >
> > It is NOT required for B/W interiors.
> >

> I don't know what LSI is (unless it's Large Scale Integration), but
> Lulu Press requires PDF with embedded fonts for everything, even B/W.
>
> I designed my last cover on Lulu's web site and I was happy with it,
> so I will probably do the same with this one.

LSI is the POD printer and distributor that many of us use. In fact
subsidy publisher Lulu uses LSI for printing when distribution is also
needed. It is without doubt the largest digital printer on the planet.

LSI stands for Lightning Source Inc.

Lulu farms out their printing. Like most subsidies they don't own a
print shop.

PDF w/embedded fonts is not the same requirement as pdf x/1-a:2001.
Both are important.

In general you will  pay twice as much  per copy publishing via Lulu as
printing via LSI or Createspace. So I prefer to do without the
handholding and go direct to LSI, bypassing Lulu. But you have to get
a block of ISBNs from Bowker, do your own cover design and do the
interior layout.

I design my covers via Scribus. My e-book listed below tells how I do
it. See the book "Death Wore Black" for an example or visit
http://wexfordpress.net/illos.html
for a gallery of examples.

--
John Culleton