[scribus] Fwd: Improve typographic rule support

Tornoci Laszlo torlasz at net.sote.hu
Thu Oct 27 11:40:03 UTC 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:52 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 10/26/2011 04:45 PM, john Culleton wrote:
>>
>> I do not want to argue the point. Just tell me which other sample you
>> like as well or better.
>>
>> Would my paper be more convincing if I hid the names of the programs
>> and submitted the samples to a jury of publishers and authors?
>>
> I don't think there is a need for further samples. You have to accept
> that others may not agree with your assessment, that is all. What seems
> obvious to you is actually a point of disagreement. I am trying to view
> the balance of the lines, the line breaks, the hyphenation, and agree
> with Louis that one could find discomfiture to some degree in all,
> including TeX.
>
> Also, as Louis says, when you have the capability of fractional
> adjustments in typeface size, plus a variety of other things to adjust,
> the importance of a line break or hyphenation algorithm becomes less
> critical. It's just one of your tools.

A have used Scribus for text heavy projects, and I missed "paragraph at
a time" justification a la TeX a lot. I was able to produce a result,
that I was more or less satisfied with, but it took a LOT of tedious
manual tweaking. For projects with a lot of illustrations and little
text, that's not a problem, so I understand why many people are
satisfied with Scribus the way it is, concerning its hyphenation &
justification capabilities. However, there are also people out there,
who want to use Scribus for text heavy projects as well and who want to
have nicely typeset results without spending days of tweaking. So, I'd
be very happy to see the TeX routines imported to Scribus.

					Yours: Laszlo