[scribus] Tips for laying out a book for printing

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 18 21:11:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:40:31 -0500
Adrienne Carmack <adrienne.carmack at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to do another layout on the book I've already done. The
> first version was used for publishing online as a PDF (A4 size) and
> now we're ready to make a paperback. It'll be 8.5 x 5.5, just black
> and white.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tips on various things like setting
> margins, placement of page numbers, headers, etc. Or if anyone's
> found a comprehensive list somewhere of elements to use when
> designing a print book (I've looked and just found a few bits and
> pieces).
>
> Many thanks,
> Adrienne
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net
I use Pete Masterson's "Book Design and Production" regularly. Another
useful guide (this one is free) is
memdesign.pdf
Pete's book has a few specific references to InDesign but is useful to
other audiences.

memdesign.pdf is part of the TeXLive distro but is available on the
web from several sources. The author of the Memoir class of LaTeX wrote
a superb book on that product. The first three chapters are general in
nature and are offered as a separate book.

Don't be shy about downloading or even buying books. They are
relatively inexpensive and lifetime investments.The only things I spend
money on voluntarily are books and hardware. Everything else is free at
this site, from the Operating System to the web hosting.
--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"