[scribus] Tips for laying out a book for printing

Gregory Pittman gregp_ky at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 14:38:27 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 12:40 PM, Adrienne Carmack wrote:
> I am about to do another layout on the book I've already done. The first version was used for publishing online as a PDF (A4 size) and now we're ready to make a paperback. It'll be 8.5 x 5.5, just black and white.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has tips on various things like setting margins, placement of page numbers, headers, etc. Or if anyone's found a comprehensive list somewhere of elements to use when designing a print book (I've looked and just found a few bits and pieces).

Aside from anything else you do, check out some books of the type you
are making. You will typically see certain layouts for a novel vs
nonfiction, vs some technical book.

Sooner or later, you need to develop confidence in your own judgment
about what looks good, what works, and what may be common but for your
purposes you just don't like. In particular, the same applies to choice
of font.

Greg